Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Hope I Never - Split Enz

I love this song. I can't fault it. 
It is beautifully written and composed and sung. Faultless. Even the re-recording with NZSO and Annie Crummer is incredibly done. Even seeing Tim Finn wearing eye shadow and lipstick doesn't put me off

Please allow me to share with you.

I fall apart when you're around
When you're here, I'm nowhere
I can't pretend that I'm not down
I show it I know it
I've been a fool - more than once, more than twice
I'm gonna move to a new town where the people are nice

I hope I never, I hope I never have to sigh again
I hope I never, I hope I never have to cry again
I still want to beam and smile
Happiness is back in style yeah
I hope I never, I hope I never have to see you again
Again, oh oh oh oh

It should be possible I know
To see you without
stress
But I can see I'll have to go
I'm changing my address
My urge to cry I have failed to conceal
Life
it's no fun when your haunted by things that you feel

I hope I never, I hope I never have to sigh again
I hope I never, I hope I never have to cry again
I'm for living while you can
I'm an optimistic man
I hope I never, I hope I never have to see you again
Again, oh oh oh oh...

I hope I never
I hope I never
I hope I never, never, never...

I hope I never, I hope I never have to see you again

Again.


I know. Lyrically it is a little bit of a downer, but I think it displays the writers heart every single time. There's none of the "...you hurt me so I'm gonna sleep with your best friend" tit for tat rubbish, it's just... sore...just heartache


Do you think sometimes we have forgotten what heartache is? Nowadays it seems about revenge.
Have we taken it too far with sayings such as "Build a bridge and get over it" or "Here's a teaspoon of cement so you can harden up"
Are we building generations of people "with baggage"?
Is it the foundation stone for the addictions so prevalent in our Youth?
Do they bury their hurt under alcohol? Under drugs? Do they try to scrub it away with promiscuity?


I wanna see a generation rise who KNOW who they are. Who know where they come from. A generation that lifts not just their peers but their elders, their communities.
A generation that causes change to happen. But from the inside.... out.



No comments:

Post a Comment