Friday, July 16, 2010

More thoughts

"...I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10


My husband received a promotion and we moved to Hawkes Bay five years ago. 
I was rather relaxed about the whole thing considering how much I rely on and love my family. 
And I was leaving my Bestest. I didn't drive at that stage, I was a little anxious thinking about moving to a new place where I knew no-one. I didn't have a job either. I was aware of these 'problems' but strangely at ease. 
Arriving was another story.
Things were very different. I wasn't used to seeing mob (gang) members walking around town proudly patched up. 
I wasn't used to walking past Maori in the street and they didn't look me in the eye or acknowledge me. Actually, I was disgusted. When I said 'Kia ora!' and they still didn't acknowledge me, keeping their eyes on the ground. 
I complained to my mother about that! Lots of other things, people are quite cliquey and I noticed a lot of what I called 'small town thinking' as if nothing else existed outside of Hawkes Bay. 
The service was awful (it still is) You could walk into a store, slowly do two or three laps of the shop and not have a single assistant actually assist you or even acknowledge you are there. When people bump into you they carry on walking like nothing has happened. Again, no acknowledgement. It was a shock to the system. Actually when we first moved here I was yelled out of two stores by the owners! 
Literally walked in the door and told to "Get out!" 
I have assumed prejudice was the factor because seriously the only thing you could assume about me could be based on my skin colour, right? Or maybe  they were weightist. Lol.

Anyway, life has been a steady journey here. I have walked it rather casually, meandering along the path. 
Taking the scenic route my Dad would say. Predestined. 
I thought we had made a rather foolish mistake at first - how could I be called to such a place? 
"You often see a need, because you are called to fill it." 
Hopelessness is a killer. It is easier to think change can not happen, then it is to hope that it will. 
It is easier to believe that you cannot make a difference than it is to believe 
"Every great change in history started with someONE, somewhere!"
To own being: "...the change this world needs!"
God bankrupted heaven when he sent Jesus Christ.
He did this for me. But it is not mine alone. Christ died for all.
I need to live with more purpose!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts.... although I'm quite disgusted at such behaviour in this day and age, but you can make a difference in every action you make, be it small or large. I love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MATE....lovin your posts!!

    Yeah that "every great change in history started with someONE, somewhere" line is going through my head constantly lately. Great song hey.

    Can't quite get my head around being told to get out of a shop when you've just walked in...what the?! Difficult to grasp that we live in a country that people would do that - stunned :-(

    ReplyDelete